Black Lives Matter?

Blog post 6

The topic I am choosing to write about in my final research paper is the Black Lives Matter Movement. I found this topic interesting because I personally could not account for my own strong
opinion backed by facts about what the movement was, their intentions, and their final goals; being black and not knowing what a widely known African-American led civil rights group was about was quite embarrassing among my fellow black sisters and brothers. I was drawn to the topic even more when I stared to skim the recent news headlines to discover that many of the instances that are giving the movement power are stemming from simple "routine" traffic stops of females and males, when I started to think "this could easily be me". I wanted to know more about both sides of the movement and stay neutral between the thin blue line and the "angry" black power until I conducted the proper research to develop an opinion of my own.
My research topic is The Black Lives Matter Movement, with the research question of: "Why​ ​is​ ​the​ ​Black​ ​Lives​ ​Matter​ ​Movement​ ​viewed​ ​as​ ​multiple​ ​different​ ​perspectives​ ​and preconceived​ ​notions,​ ​and​ ​what​ ​does​ ​it​ ​mean​ ​in​ ​America?" in order to see the different perspectives of the movement in America, the country I live in. My claim is that the movement is bigger than one situation and that looking just off of facts and fatal circumstances, the police force is choosing African-Americans for these stops and killing them based off of skin color and far more than they are pulling over white- Americans. I personally would feel worried about being pulled over ad being a female, due to I am not certain that I will make it back home after.

Comments